XtraCopy - Multithread compress and copy tool
xtracopy is a file copy tool designed to backup large files in a fast and efficient
. We use this tool mainly to backup the virtual machine images,
but it can be used to backup any kind of file.
Its strength is the high performance even when the system is actively
working with other tasks taking a lot of I/O resources on its volume.
This is a common scenario in virtualization environments, when the system performs the backup
of the virtual machines while these are running.
The performances are achieved by implementing a multi-threaded architecture
with lockless ring buffers
How it works?
- the read thread gets the binary slices from the input file and store
that in the read buffer
- the compressor thread gets the binary slices from the read buffer,
compress or decompress each slice and put the result in the write buffer
- the write thread gets the binary slices from the write buffer and
writes that in the output file
Why this architecture?
- the read thread can benefit from the high speed of the volume while
using the band left free by main tasks. It reads all slices that it can and insert them in
the read buffer
- the compressor thread can use the available CPU to compress/decompress the
slices from the read buffer into the write buffer, without be affected by the I/O waiting on the volumes
- the write thread serializes the slices contained in the write buffer
in the output file using the maximum I/O bandwidth of the output volume
So, what are the benefits?
- xtracopy can compress and copy large files without using any temporary file
- it can use all I/O bandwidth available in the input and output volumes
- it can optimize the use one CPU Core for the compression
- the two ring buffers allow to partially compensate the moments
when the I/O bandwidth are occupied by other tasks
- xtracopy can run with a low priority keeping good performances without
affecting the main processes
For any question, please contact us
|operations office||Via Emilio De Marchi 22, Turin (Italy)|
|legal headquarter||Via Emilio De Marchi 22, Turin (Italy)|
|Copyright 2014 Develit S.r.L. All rights reserved.